Helping our Neighbors: It’s what we do
“Many thanks for helping me!”
“Thank you for taking such good care of our mom.”
“…a HUGE thank you to the first responders (Fanwood) who rushed to my husband and 2 kids in a horrific car accident at Terrill and Midway.”
The Fanwood Rescue Squad is a non-profit, all volunteer organization. It was formed in 1948 by several members of the Fanwood Fire Company who felt that the Borough needed its own Rescue Squad. Prior to that time, the service was provided by neighboring communities, particularly Scotch Plains. Charter membership at that time was 30. During this time the squad was housed in the Fire Hall (detailed squad history here).
The present Rescue Squad building, located at 123 Watson Road, was constructed in 1977 with the help of the volunteer members. It provides two vehicle bays, bathrooms, office, storerooms, a meeting/training room and a small kitchen. Following the lengthy power outages caused by a tornado in 1999, a backup generator was installed.
Currently the Rescue Squad owns two ambulances: a 2009 Ford/Braun Chief and a 2017 Ford/ Braun Signature Series and a full complement of necessary emergency equipment.
The current membership varies between 30 and 50 volunteers who serve in many capacities in the organization from answering emergencies to building and ambulance maintenance, administration, community service, website and desktop publishing. A number of members are also members of the volunteer fire company. Night-time hours (11PM-6AM) are staffed by crews committed to respond during these hours.
2020 Line Officers
- Captain: Christian Roman
- 1st Lieutenant: Marcus Valdez III
- 2nd Lieutenant: Brian Downing
- Sergeant: Shreya Kachroo
- Training Officer: Nicholas Tripodi
2020 Desk Officers
- President: Jamie Pedinoff
- Vice President: Dave Zawodniak
- Treasurer: Nam-June Joe
- Recording Secretary: Patricia Buckridee
- Corresponding Secretary: Lisa Walker
- Chaplain: James Drewes
- Historian: Shreya Kachroo
- James Stewart – Newly elected term through 2022
- Eric Breidenstein – Newly elected term through 2021
- Robert Villegas – Continuing term through 2020
- Patricia Buckridee – Newly elected term through 2022
- Joan Lozowski – Continuing term through 2021
- Karolyn Buckridee – Continuing term through 2020
2020 Alternate Delegates:
- Shreya Kachroo – Continuing term through 2022
- Christian Roman – Newly elected term through 2021
- Marcus Valdez III – Newly elected term through 2020